What to Expect During Cataract Surgery in Florence
Contact us at 843.664.9393 today to schedule a cataract consultation.
It’s natural to be a bit nervous the day of your cataract surgery in Florence, SC, but we want you to know that our team is prepared to make you as comfortable as possible throughout the process. Plan to be at our office for at least 2 hours on the day of your procedure to complete any necessary paperwork, ask any last minute questions and relax before and after surgery. Be sure to have someone drive you to and from your appointment.
- First, we will apply medicated eye drops and give you a local anesthetic to numb your eye. You will also be give a medication intravenously to help you relax.
- Your doctor will make a tiny incision in your cornea using a blade or with a laser to break up your cloudy lens and gently remove it.
- With the cloudy lens removed, a replacement lens is inserted into the eye to restore clear vision. You and your doctor will have decided which type and power of intraocular lens is right for you before your surgery.
The entire process will only take 15-30 minutes.
Your eye will begin to heal over the next two weeks and vision will continue to improve. During that time, you may experience temporary mild irritation. Any discomfort can be minimized by taking the prescribed medications and eye drops.
Cataract Surgery Post-Operation Instructions
It is important to follow your doctor’s post-op instructions carefully to promote healing after cataract surgery in Florence. If you experience any complications, contact us immediately.
The Day of Surgery
- Wear the eye shield until the next morning before your appointment, then start using all 3 medicated eye drops as soon as possible
- Rest and relax
- Wear your eye shield when sleeping or napping for the first week
Acceptable Activities the Day After Surgery
- Bend and stoop
- Take a shower and wash your hair (don’t let the water hit you directly in the eye; if you do get water in the eye, gently blot it dry from the outside)
- Resume all your normal activities such as reading, watching TV, household chores like vacuuming, etc.
Restricted Activities for the Weeks After Surgery
- No lifting anything over 35 pounds for 2 weeks
- No swimming for 2 weeks
- No exercising for 2 weeks (you can walk as much as you want, but no machines, treadmills, bikes, lifting weights, golfing, fishing, etc.)
- No eye make-up for 1 week
We invite you to click on the Cataract Self-Evaluation Test to find out if you may be a candidate for this life-changing procedure.