The LASIK Procedure
What to Expect During a LASIK Procedure
LASIK Doctor in Florence:
Howard N. Greene, MD
Contact us at 843.664.9393 today to schedule a free LASIK consultation.
LASIK vision correction has been performed on literally millions of people worldwide. At Carolinas Centers for Sight, P.C., Dr. Howard Greene performs blade-free LASIK along with excimer laser technology to help patients improve their vision – often resulting in the reduction or elimination of glasses and contacts.
If you are deemed a good candidate for LASIK by Dr. Greene and decide to have the procedure at our Florence LASIK office, here are the steps on the day of surgery which is done in the mornings:
- Our team will administer numbing eye drops and have you relax until it is time for your surgery.
- You will be directed into the laser suite for your procedure.
- Dr. Greene will use the IntraLase F60 femtosecond laser technology (the blade-free part of the procedure) to create a corneal flap. A special ring and an instrument to gently flatten your cornea is applied immediately prior to using the IntraLase laser. This is not painful, but rather will give you a feeling of slight pressure. This flap creation step takes 15-30 seconds per eye.
- Dr. Greene then uses the Allegretto Wave® Eye-Q excimer laser to precisely reshape the corneal tissue. This step is based on earlier 3D Wavelight information about your unique refractive error.
- The flap is gently replaced and allowed to begin healing immediately.
The LASIK surgery procedure takes about 10 minutes per eye. You will be in the office for 2 to 3 hours for your pre-op counseling, prepping for surgery, the procedure and then Dr. Greene will check your flap. You will come back that same day in the afternoon for a brief post-op appointment.
Typical recovery time for blade-free LASIK is 1 or 2 days. However, your experience may be dependent on the overall health of your eyes.
Benefits of All Laser Blade-free LASIK
Our IntraLase F60 femtosecond laser provides precise flap-making technology that can lead to safer and superior outcomes due to decreased flap-related complications. To date, over 15 million patients have chosen IntraLase worldwide.
We invite you to click on the LASIK Self-Evaluation Test to find out if you may be a candidate for this life-changing procedure.