Maintain Retina Health for Good Vision
Having a healthy retina is absolutely essential for clear vision. Your retina is light-sensitive nerve tissue that is located at the back of your eye. It is responsible for allowing images to be focused, converted to electrical impulses and delivered to the brain through the optic nerve. If your retina is damaged in any way, your vision will be impaired.
Common Retinal Diseases/Conditions
The following conditions can lead to blurring or distortion of central vision:
- Macular degeneration: formation of yellowish deposits on the retina and especially the macula (the center of the retina)
- Diabetic retinopathy: blood vessel damage in the retina
- Retinal tear, hole and puckering: formation of a tear or scar tissue on the retina
- Retinal detachment: retina pulls away from the back of the eye causing floaters or a curtain effect over the field of vision
- Intraocular and retinal trauma, uveitis
Left uncontrolled, many of these conditions can ultimately lead to blindness.
If you are experiencing any changes in your central vision, contact our office in Florence at 843.6674.9393 or our Sumter office at 803.775.1772 to schedule an appointment with one of our retina specialists in immediately. Early treatment may help preserve your vision.