Symptoms of Dry Eye
Simply having the occasional sensation of dry eyes may not mean you have dry eye syndrome – especially if over-the-counter eye drops provide relief. However, if you experience persistent symptoms like the ones below, you may benefit from one of the dry eye treatments offered at Carolinas Centers for Sight, P.C.
- Excessive eye watering/tearing
- Eye stinging/burning/itching
- Eye fatigue
- Sensitivity to light
- Eye redness/inflammation
- Stringy mucus in the eye
- Gritty eye/foreign body sensation
- Blurry vision
The LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System by TearScience is the only FDA approved procedure for treating meibomian gland dysfunction. Lipiflow can provide long term relief with each treatment. Carolinas Centers for Sight, P.C. is pleased to offer the LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System by TearScience®.
The process works by applying a combination of directed heat and pressure therapy to unblock meibomian glands and allow your body to resume its natural production of tear film oil. A disposable LipiFlow® Activator eyepiece is inserted under your lower and upper eyelids and is shaped to prevent contact with your cornea. Once in place, you simply recline in the treatment chair and experience the 12-minute procedure.
- A clinical study shows about 79% of patients reported an improvement in overall dry eye symptoms after a single LipiFlow treatment. If your symptoms return, you may need to repeat the treatment periodically.
- In a clinical study, 80% of patients noted awareness of pressure without discomfort or pain during the LipiFlow treatment.