Asking how old someone used to be an incredibly taboo question – the concept of aging, in general, was something that was always looked down upon. In a society that practically worships youth, getting older doesn’t exactly seem like a welcome process.
However, there are plenty of people trying to change that, and the creation of Healthy Aging Month is a huge step in the right direction. Each September, people who are over the age of 45 spend time focusing on the benefits of getting older. So how exactly did this month of celebration come to be and what can you do to celebrate in your own way? Keep reading to find out!
Focusing On Baby Boomers
Carolyn Worthington, the editor-in-chief of Healthy Aging® Magazine, developed Healthy Aging Month as a way to draw attention to the areas of life that those 45 and older should really be focusing on. From physical health and wellness to financial issues and more, the month of September sheds new light on getting older.
Not only does Healthy Aging Month place an emphasis on baby boomers and those who are nearing the later stages of life, but even those dubbed “Gen X-ers” who reached age 50 in 2015, are now included in this holiday’s focus.
How Can You Celebrate?
Whether you’ve stayed on top of your own aging or you recognize that it’s time to make some changes, September is the perfect month to get started. Consider the following ways you can improve your own health and wellness:
- Use the month of September to make those long-forgotten appointments with your primary care physician, dentist, ophthalmologist, and more. While medical care can be scary for some, addressing any health concerns sooner rather than later is always the wisest way to go.
- Integrate even just a little bit of exercise into your daily routine. Simply going for a walk around the block can help you to get more Vitamin D and may even bring social benefits by chatting with your neighbors.
- Many people proclaim that you’re only as old as you feel, so use Health Aging Month to evaluate how you truly feel about your age. Think back to your best year and make a commitment to act that age!
- Evaluate your finances and meet with a professional if needed. While most people who are older than 45 already have a plan for retirement, make sure that you’re on track to meet your individual goals.
- Spend more time with family and friends if they’re local to you, otherwise, make the effort to call them more regularly. People often find that they become lonely the older they get, so fortifying your friendships now will pay off for many years to come.
While it’s great to celebrate the aging process during the month of September, there’s no reason that you can’t take the approach of aging in a healthy way all year long! By taking care of your physical health, mental wellbeing, and many other aspects of your life, you’re giving yourself the best chance possible of enjoying life beyond 45!